Frequently asked questions

Q: What sort of offences can it be used for?

A: Theft, criminal damage, public order and some low level assaults.

Q: Does the crime still get recorded?

A: Yes. Crimes will still be recorded in the usual way.

Q: What should be taken into consideration?

A: Is the offence an eligible offence? Is Community Resolution appropriate in view of the offender’s previous offending history and will it minimise the risk of re-offending? The offender must admit the offence and agree to the resolution. The wishes of the victim must also be taken into consideration, although the victim does not have to agree to the resolution.

Q: What would be a Community Resolution?

A: The offender may be given advice about their behaviour, asked to provide an apology to the victim, make some form of reparation such as repairing any damage done, or provide compensation. Officers are encouraged to be creative about the resolutions agreed, although any resolution must be proportionate.

Q. What if the victim does not agree with the action an officer has taken?

A. Where possible we should seek to resolve the crime in line with the victim’s wishes and this will occur in the overwhelming majority of cases. However, on occasions this may not be possible and the police officer will have the final decision as to the most appropriate means of resolution.

Q. How will Community Resolution be measured to show if it’s successful?

A. Community satisfaction through Community Resolution will be measured through monthly telephone surveys to a random sample of victims to measure their views on the service they have received.

Q: Can a Community Resolution be issued to an offender without the victim being contacted?

A:No. In order for the officer to issue a Community Resolution it must be the 'right thing to do'. Without contacting the victim the officer would not be able to make this judgement as there may be previous problems between the offender and the victim which the officer would not be aware of.

Q: What happens if the Community Resolution is not completed by the offender?

A:The offender can be summonsed for the original offence.