Complaints - 333/16
Dated: 12 Apr 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 9 March 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
Information Requested for the following date Range 9th March 2013 until 9th March 2016
1. How many BME ( Black and Minority Ethnic) police officers have made complaints about being a victim of racism by another police officer
2. How many of the total number of complaints were investigated
3. How many of the total number of complaints investigated were found proven
4. How many of the total number of complaint received were not investigated
5. How many white police officers have made complaints about being a victim of racism by another police officer
6. How many of the total number of complaints were investigated
7. How many of the total number of complaints investigated were found proven
8. How many of the total number of complaint received were not investigated
9. How many members of the public have made complaints about being a victim of racism by another police officer
10. How many of the total number of complaints were investigated
11. How many of the total number of complaints investigated were found proven
12. How many of the total number of complaint received were not investigated
Please can you supply me with the number Formal Resolutions, Conduct matters, complaints, allegations, that have been made this please apply this to question 1-8
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
This request will be agreggated with your previous request on this subject matter, FOI 332/16 refers.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the HR and Professional Standards Departments of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
All allegations of racial or discriminatory behaviour are thoroughly investigated by Northumbria police. It is essential that police officers and staff are impartial in order to retain the trust and confidence of the public. Should any member of staff be found to have made a racist comment or action then disciplinary action will follow.
The following information has been extracted from a ‘live’ database and may be subject to the addition and deletion of complaints, complainants and subjects after the initial extraction of data used for the purposes of this request.
Data has been checked for ‘allegations recorded’ and ‘allegations finalised’ between 09/03/2013 and 09/03/2016 for complaint cases and conduct matters relating to racist behaviour by police officers.
A compliant case can contain more than one allegation, to obtain the data in this response all complaint cases were checked to see if they contained an allegation type of ‘discriminatory behaviour', or if the allegation summary included the words ‘racism’, ‘racist’, ‘racial’, ‘race’ and ‘ethnic’.
1. to 8.
Police officers do not register complaints against other police officers; if an allegation is made then a conduct matter would be recorded and investigated. Most conduct matters are brought to our attention via an officer’s supervisor or may be raised by the Chief Inspector from the Professional Standards Department.
During the time period requested there have been no conduct matters received via Professional Standards about a police officer being a victim of racism by another police officer, this includes all BME and white officers.
Our HR department advise that for the time period specified they have not received any formal grievances that relate to complaints of racism
9. 35 complaint cases have been made by members of the public that contain an allegation of racism by a police officer, 9 of which are still live and an outcome has not been determined.
10. 32 allegation of racism by a police officer have been or are being investigated, 2 allegations were withdrawn before an investigation and 1 allegation was disapplied.
11. Out of the above 35 complaint cases, 23 were not proven, 9 complaint cases are still under investigation and an outcome has not been determined.
12. 3 allegations were not investigated (see question 10).
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.
How to complain
If you are unhappy with our decision or do not consider that we have handled your request properly and we are unable to resolve this issue informally, you are entitled to make a formal complaint to us under our complaints procedure.
If you are still unhappy after we have investigated your complaint and reported to you the outcome, you may complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office and request that they investigate to ascertain whether we have dealt with your request in accordance with the Act.