Disclosure Details

Call outs - 1190/15

Dated: 15 Jan 2016

Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')

Thank you for your e mail dated 24 December 2015 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police 

As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.

You asked:

1) the annual number of incidents police were called out to at prisons within the force's catchment area, broken down per institution, per year for each of the last 5 calendar years.

2) the monthly number of incidents police were called out to at prisons within the force's catchment area, broken down per institution, per type of callout, per month, for the calendar year of 2015.

On 04/01/16 you then added:

This request refers to ALL police force deployments at prisons held on your force's incident handling system - i.e. not only those reported call-outs but also incidents 'happened upon' also recorded. You may feel this was apparent in the initial request but has been queried by a force and this is a clarification to the initial request


We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.

Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Corporate Development Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.

I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows

The information provided has been obtained by searching using the prisons postcode, any record where a postcode was not completed may be missing.

HMP Castington and HMP Ackilngton merged in 2011. They had separate post codes and then it became HMP Northumberland using the Acklington postcode only. However in 2012 there were still some records being attached to the old unused postcode so we have included both.

We have separated the prisons out when necessary because HMP Castington was initially a young offenders institute.

There are currently no youth detention centres in Northumbria.

Regarding  "Callout type" in our response to question 2, Public safety incidents includes things such as suspicious circumstances/packages, wanted persons, wildlife calls. Administration related incident includes lost and found property, police generated resource activity and pre planned events.

With the above in mind please see the attached which fully answers your query


Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another.  Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data.  For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.

You may be interested to know that Northumbria Police routinely publish information via the Disclosure Log.  The aim of the Disclosure Log is to promote openness and transparency by voluntarily placing information into the public arena. 

The Disclosure Log contains copies of some of the information that has been disclosed by Northumbria Police in response to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Whilst it is not possible to publish all responses we will endeavour to publish those where we feel that the information disclosed is in the wider public interest.

The Disclosure Log will be updated once responses have been sent to the requester.

I have provided the relevant link below.



The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police.  Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation.  In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.

How to complain

If you are unhappy with our decision or do not consider that we have handled your request properly and we are unable to resolve this issue informally, you are entitled to make a formal complaint to us under our complaints procedure.

If you are still unhappy after we have investigated your complaint and reported to you the outcome, you may complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office and request that they investigate to ascertain whether we have dealt with your request in accordance with the Act.


FOI 1190-15.