Raptor persecution - 1318/16
Dated: 15 Dec 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 28 November 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. How many cases of raptor persecution have been reported to your force each year, between 2004 to date?
2. Can you please provide the date each case was reported?
3. Can you please provide the date each case was actioned?
4. How many of these crimes resulted in charges being brought?
5. How many of these crimes ended in prosecutions?
6. Which species were affected?
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted within Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1. Records of wildlife incidents are only available from May 2008 onwards. The figures are provided for incidents of "Raptor Persecution" and "Poisoning Raptors". Incidents are recorded as reported and the figures do not reflect the number of actual offences that can be defined as "raptor persecution".
From May 2008 to October 2016 there were 53 reported incidents recorded in the two categories ("Raptor Persecution" and "Poisoning Raptors"), broken down as follows:
2008 - 3; 2009 - 3; 2010 - 3; 2011 - 6; 2012 - 4; 2013 - 6; 2014 - 8; 2015 - 15; 2016 - 5.
2. Dates: 10/07/2008; 19/07/2008; 24/10/2008; 23/03/2009; 11/04/2009; 17/09/2009; 12/02/2010; 15/10/2010; 17/10/2010; 01/06/2011; 06/06/2011; 04/07/2011; 05/07/2011; 23/08/2011; 31/12/2011; 23/03/2012; 31/03/2012; 11/08/2012; 11/12/2012; 08/02/2013; 18/02/2013; 07/04/2013; 04/07/2013; 03/09/2013; 23/09/2013; 02/03/2014; 05/03/2014; 07/05/2014; 22/05/2014; 03/06/2014;19/06/2014; 28/06/2014; 07/07/2014; 07/01/2015; 22/02/2015; 18/03/2015; 17/04/2015; 21/04/2015; 22/04/2015; 28/04/2015; 13/05/2015; 18/05/2015; 18/05/2015; 22/05/2015; 19/06/2015; 04/07/2015; 06/09/2015; 19/09/2015; 06/03/2016; 12/03/2016; 26/03/2016; 28/03/2016; 23/06/2016
3. All incidents were allocated to an officer to investigate on the day the report was received.
4. As stated above the figures above refer to incidents recorded as reported, not crimes, in many cases offences were not involved. No-one has been charged with any offences arising out of the above incidents.
5. One person received a police caution for an offence under the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981.
6. Species: Buzzard; Owl; Peregrine Falcon; Red Kite; Kestrel; Hen Harrier; Marsh Harrier; Sparrow Hawk.
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.