Payments - 1134/15
Dated: 17 Feb 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 3 December 2015 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1) Since 2012/13, how much has been paid to staff for private medical cover and to how many staff? Please break down how much was spent and to how many staff for each financial year (so 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15).
2) Since 2012/13, how much has been paid out to staff for relocation or removal costs/expenses? Please break down how much was paid and to how many members of staff for each financial year (2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15).
3) How much has been paid out in bonuses to police staff since 2012/13? Please break down how much was spent on bonuses and to how many staff for each financial year (2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15).
4) Please specify which of these, if any, were retention bonuses or bonuses designed to keep officers from leaving the force.
5) For the above stated years, have police officers been entitled to receive a new car every two years? If so, how many have utilised this allowance and received replacement cars in 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15? (*Note: this does not include occasions where a car has ceased to be driveable and must therefore be replaced)
6) Were private school fees paid for the children of any police staff during 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15?
7) If so, please state the cost for each of the above years, per staff member.
8) Were nursery, childminders or any other childcare fees paid for by the police force for the children of police staff during 2012/13, 2013/14, 2014/15?
9) If so, please state how much this cost for each of the above years, per staff member.
By 'staff' I mean ALL EMPLOYEES, so including all officers and all staff.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the Finance Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
1) No Payments have been made to staff/Officers for private medical cover
2) Regarding Payments for 2012/13, as the information you have requested is accessible by other means I have not provided you with a copy of the information and will rely on Section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. You should therefore consider this a refusal for that part of your request.
I have provided an explanation to this exemption below.
Section 21 (1) - Information accessible by other means
Information which is reasonably accessible to the applicant is exempt information.
Information on this subject area has been asked for previously, released and published on the FOI disclosure log on the website of the Police and Crime Commisioner for Northumbria, under reference 331314. We have provide the relevant link below.
No payments have been made to staff/Officers for relocation or removal costs/expenses in 2013/14 and 2014/15.
3) No Payments have been made to staff/Officers for bonuses
4) Not applicable.
5) Police Officers have not been entitled to receive a new car every two year in these periods
6) No Payments have been made to staff/Officers for private school fees.
7) Not applicable.
8) No Payments have been made to staff/Officers for childcare fees.
9) Not applicable.
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
You may be interested to know that Northumbria Police routinely publish information via the Disclosure Log. The aim of the Disclosure Log is to promote openness and transparency by voluntarily placing information into the public arena.
The Disclosure Log contains copies of some of the information that has been disclosed by Northumbria Police in response to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Whilst it is not possible to publish all responses we will endeavour to publish those where we feel that the information disclosed is in the wider public interest.
The Disclosure Log will be updated once responses have been sent to the requester.
I have provided the relevant link below.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.
How to complain
If you are unhappy with our decision or do not consider that we have handled your request properly and we are unable to resolve this issue informally, you are entitled to make a formal complaint to us under our complaints procedure.
If you are still unhappy after we have investigated your complaint and reported to you the outcome, you may complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office and request that they investigate to ascertain whether we have dealt with your request in accordance with the Act.