Dated: 21 Jul 2016
Provision of information held by Northumbria Police made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the 'Act')
Thank you for your e mail dated 30 June 2016 in which you made a request for access to certain information which may be held by Northumbria Police.
As you may be aware the purpose of the Act is to allow a general right of access to information held at the time of a request, by a Public Authority (including the Police), subject to certain limitations and exemptions.
1. The number of times the agency has faced a ransomware attack, including attacks that were ultimately unsuccessful, since January 2012 to the date of this request. By ultimately unsuccessful, I mean that an email containing ransomware could have been sent to the department, but it did not lead to an infection of the target computer. Please break down this data annually.
2. The number of times the agency has successfully been infected with ransomware since January 2012 to the date of this request. Please break down this data annually.
3. The number of times the agency paid the attackers since January 2012 to the date of this request. Please break down this data annually.
4. The amount of money the agency has paid attackers since January 2012 to the date of this request. Please break down how much was paid annually.
5. Any emails sent or received by the agency discussing ransomware attacks.
6. Any internal reports generated in preparation of, or as a result of, a ransomware attack from January 2012 to the date of this request.
We have now had the opportunity to fully consider your request and I provide a response for your attention.
Following receipt of your request, searches were conducted with the IC&T Department of Northumbria Police. I can confirm that the information you have requested is held by Northumbria Police.
I am able to disclose the located information to you as follows.
5. No information held. We have no such emails.
6. No information held. We have no such documents.
Due to the different methods of recording information across 43 forces, a specific response from one constabulary should not be seen as an indication of what information could be supplied (within cost) by another. Systems used for recording these figures are not generic, nor are the procedures used locally in capturing the data. For this reason responses between forces may differ, and should not be used for comparative purposes.
The information we have supplied to you is likely to contain intellectual property rights of Northumbria Police. Your use of the information must be strictly in accordance with the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 (as amended) or such other applicable legislation. In particular, you must not re-use this information for any commercial purpose.