Rapist sentenced for second attack after victim comes forward when he was put behind bars
31 May 2018 10:00 AM[View Full Size]
A convicted rapist who was jailed for raping a teenager has been sentenced for another attack - after a second victim came forward when he was put behind bars.
Terry Maughan, 24, was jailed in 2016 after subjecting a 17-year-old girl to a 90-minute sexual assault after they were left alone together at an address in Newcastle.
He was found guilty by a jury of raping the teenager at the end of a house party at which she had been drinking with friends.
A court was told how Maughan had thrown his victim to the floor and put his hand round her throat to stop her from screaming while he raped her.
He was jailed for seven years in October 2016 and following his sentencing hearing a second victim came forward to say he had raped her.
She disclosed several offences that had taken place between 2011 and 2015 but she had previously been too scared to contact police.
Maughan was interviewed by police in prison and later charged with three counts of rape. He initially denied the charges but changed his plea in March this year.
On Wednesday he re-appeared before Newcastle Crown Court where he was handed a nine year sentence. It will run alongside the seven year sentence he was given in 2016.
Following the case, investigating officer Paul Challoner said: "Firstly, I want to praise the bravery of both the victims in this case who have stood up to their abuser and helped put him behind bars.
"The courage they have shown throughout both legal proceedings has been incredible and I am delighted that their testimony has resulted in a lengthy jail term.
"The victim in this most recent case has lived with what Maughan subjected her to for a number of years and it has ruined her life.
"I want to thank her for coming forward and reporting what has happened to her. I hope she can now begin to move on."
He added: "Terry Maughan has shown no remorse for his crimes and only pleaded guilty at the last minute due to the mountain of evidence against him. I am glad to see his time behind bars extended.
"I hope that his conviction gives confidence to other victims of sexual assault and rape who have not yet reported their abuse to police.
"We will take positive action to put perpetrators of this type of crime behind bars."
Maughan, of HMP Holme House but previously of Tynebank, Winlaton, was also handed an indefinite restraining order.